Skip to main content

Hugging Yourself.

It's about 11:20 p.m. I don't have much to write about today as usual. It's probably because I wrote quite a bit on a subject I was interested in yesterday. Today was a rather uneventful day. I woke up late for classes, but I was kind of glad I did. I usually wake up late with a guilty feeling at the loss of attendance and the lessons.

But coughing up a fit while my chest feels heavy with phlegm wasn't really ideal in aiding any sort of concentration. I used a vaporizer for the first time today. It's an equipment specially made for steam inhalation to loosen the phlegm/mucus in your body.

This might be a disgusting topic for some, I suppose. Regardless, this reminded me of when my mother used to bring a big blue bucket filled with hot water from the tap and place it on top of the washing machine. That might have damaged the washing machine, or maybe I have a bad memory.

She would drop a little bit of Vicks salve into the hot water. I would inhale the steam, forgetting to take off my glasses, with a towel over my head.

It's not that I miss this. Because why would one wish for such sickness again? It's the feeling of being taken care of that I crave, I suppose. I don't feel it generally, thrown into some distraction throughout the year. But when I am sick, I become a child.

I curve into a fetal position, yearning for the warmth and comfort I felt before as a faceless person fluttered the blanket over my body and let it drop only when it perfectly covered me. When I used to get fed food from my parents' hand. It's not even that I want it again. Not that physicality, it's that feeling.

Somehow being sick and so physically vulnerable forces you to ask for help, which I tend to avoid doing. I am working on it, though. To ask for help because there's nothing else you are capable of doing. To show such vulnerability on a physical level. Where you can't cover it up as it's seen and felt.

This is just a fever, as well. I asked my friend to accompany me to the main gate to get a package. She came with me. It's simple, and it seems stupid. But to ask is to admit. It's to accept, and what's so wrong with it?

Especially at such a small level. I am talking to myself at this point. This friend and I went to George chettan's kada, as she called it. We sat on shaky stools, stared at the unsafe building constructions, and talked about a multitude of topics as we drank the tea.

Talking of tea, my tongue is better now. I can't seem to stay away from tea. It feels like a hot drink that has a purpose other than to melt away my unfortunate build-up of disgust in my lungs and chest. Phlegm enters the conversation again.

I can't tell myself to drink hot water because that seems so medical. I have to know that I am doing a certain action to recover. What's so wrong with it, I wonder. But my body doesn't accept it unless I convince myself it has some other purpose. Like when you look away from the computer so it loads faster.

It will still load the same as you look at it. To look at things as they are and accept them is a step. Just a step, but it's the first step. It starts everything, and perhaps is one of the hardest ones to do.

To get started. To just eat the frog, as Mark Twain once said. I have begun, I suppose, nauseous, drinking hot water, taking care of myself. It's a weird funny feeling that you become the only arms you can wrap around your body.

Of course, your friends and all the people around you still exist. But in a metaphoric sense. In living away from your parents, learning to be independent. It's not that you can't get the hug, it's to learn how to get it from yourself. To be the one who takes care and the one who is being taken care of, all at once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ominous Positivity: Reflecting on Korea Day

It's inevitable. The poetry and prose can only shield me from vulnerability for so long. Someone is bound to read through the poorly written literary devices and figure out the true meaning of all my works that I run away from by writing it (How presumptuous). Or no one cares.  The latter is the greater possibility. I find comfort in it, no one cares. And on some days, it's despair in how no one cares.  True to my character, I am going to switch the topic to another one. For today, I wish to reminisce on Korea Day and as much as I would love to say it started with me speaking Korean and having a wonderful day. It didn't. I sat on my glasses.  Having a power of -6 and allegedly even more, I can't move around without my glasses as there is a possibility I will fall into a ditch, the depth perception does lessen when you can't perceive objects, it turns out.  It was frustrating, the whole sitting on glasses debacle. I had never done it before. Out of character as I wou

The Chase to Curfew.

My heart is out of my chest. It's in my throat, beating like it's struggling to stay alive. But it's more alive than ever. The curfew is at 7 PM. You know it, I know it. Everyone knows it. Especially the duos that linger at Martin Junction. Yet we all love to tease the limits of how far a body can run and make it in time. The urgency, the need, the frustration, the fulfillment. There’s something exhilarating about skirting the edge of danger. About feeling the adrenaline course through your veins as the clock ticks down. I reach out for it during exams, actively working towards it—to be sleep-deprived and see how far I can push myself and still dish out something legible. I always take that one fake quote in stride, "Edison built the electric bulb in a night," or something of that sort. It's fake for multiple reasons, the stealing allegations aside. But it brings me hope. And this hope is quite delusional when it’s not accompanied by action. You can call it pr

Rainy Reflections.

What do I write today? I pondered for hours while doing mundane tasks. The sunlight stayed with me for a while, then it left, all alone, before the tube of electricity joined my thoughts. "Aren't you eating dinner?" asked my roommate. That's when I finally broke the silence I had condemned myself to until I wrote. I ate dinner and drank tea instead of coffee because I wanted to sleep earlier. I came back to my room, determined to write the third blog post. I couldn't give up so soon, could I? The sounds of doors and windows slamming against the walls, screeching laughter, and people running around seeped into my room. "It's cool outside, the rain, it's raining," said my roommate. I am not a huge fan of the rain. It always made me moody. I wasn't a hater either. Something in me whispered back to my roommate, "It's raining? It's raining!" I jumped up barefoot and ran out to feel the cool breeze against my face. My feet felt th