Skip to main content

I Feel Like a Jilted Lover.

For all the positivity in the previous posts, I suffer. My health is better, but it isn’t. 

I am not immune to sadness, as much as the past days have made me feel like it. I miss home. I don't know why.

I heard my brother and my parents fight on the phone. Frustrating and annoying. But I want it right now. I want my room. I want my pillow. I want the torn mattress, which is probably why I am no longer as immune as I was.

My lungs are yellow. Foam fills them. Lots of it. My mattress that has lost tiny chunks of itself over the years like someone bit into it. I haven't but you might find it in my skin. My face has flattened against it a million times, i have breathed it in since my birth.

If you ask my half-peeled and hardened feet what they know the most, they will say they have met these specific cold tiled floors that my home has. They will still have them. It's just that I will never walk on them again.

It's materialistic, I know. I should be grateful. I am. But in this process of venting and only in the aftermath can I ridicule myself for complaining about losing a house I have lived in for eighteen years. I am lucky.

I miss the things. I miss that they aren't all around me to remind me of the countless memories I have had. I miss that the walls that have seen me through everything will disappear.

I know they won't. They will see another teenage girl, apparently. But I don't want to know of it. I feel like a jealous lover.

Insecurity in my love for my home.

The dad of the new family came over while I was at home to look around the new house. I wasn't a coward. I hid in the big bathroom for no reason. I wasn't like this, I never did this.

I was scared I would be ugly. I felt like my face would twist into some expression of rage that I didn't know was in me. Of course, that didn't happen. I was mature, right?

I was a little child; my home was my toy. No one else could take it; it was all mine. I knew in the long run, this would never be my home. Maybe I would have internalized that if we had repeatedly moved. But no, circumstances had me love that place so deeply. Every crack in the walls and bubbles on the ceiling memorized. The lines between the tiles telling me where I was.

I knew it like the back of my hand. I know it like the back of my hand. If I was blindfolded, I could tell my way around easily, where all the tables and chairs lay, where everything was placed. I could tell you about the painting on a tree stump I did five years ago. I could tell you about the pink yarn tied to the window sill, dusty and hanging on by a thread. A popped balloon attached to it. I could tell you when the grills of the window were attached. 

I could tell you why this was the second set of house keys. I could tell you which window I used to jump through to open the front door. I could tell you why my feet didn't mind stones and sand. 

I could tell you why there's a set of bricks inside the parking space. I could tell you why the trees in our yard are there and where we got them from. I could tell you why there's a part of the bathroom wall, a small gap between the white tiles where it's written massage sending. Not message. Massage.

I could tell you, but I can't. Just as my parents grew up in their tharavads, this was mine. I didn't choose this. I didn't not choose this. I grew up there. I can't change that; I can't rip away the part of me that was influenced by it. I knew it was temporary, but it still hurts.

I wonder if the new girl of the family moving in would like my room as I did. I loved the glorious amount of sunlight my room had.

I wonder if my milk teeth still lie on the roof of my home. I wonder if they will ever find my lost things. Along with it, my home.

I understand it’s not mine to lose. I know the walls won’t miss me, the tiles will soon warm beneath someone else’s feet, and the ceilings will gaze upon new faces. I know someone will cut down the trees we planted. I know home is a feeling, not a place.

But this home was a place that held that feeling for so long, it's become one. 

I hope it's loved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ominous Positivity: Reflecting on Korea Day

It's inevitable. The poetry and prose can only shield me from vulnerability for so long. Someone is bound to read through the poorly written literary devices and figure out the true meaning of all my works that I run away from by writing it (How presumptuous). Or no one cares.  The latter is the greater possibility. I find comfort in it, no one cares. And on some days, it's despair in how no one cares.  True to my character, I am going to switch the topic to another one. For today, I wish to reminisce on Korea Day and as much as I would love to say it started with me speaking Korean and having a wonderful day. It didn't. I sat on my glasses.  Having a power of -6 and allegedly even more, I can't move around without my glasses as there is a possibility I will fall into a ditch, the depth perception does lessen when you can't perceive objects, it turns out.  It was frustrating, the whole sitting on glasses debacle. I had never done it before. Out of character as I wou

The Chase to Curfew.

My heart is out of my chest. It's in my throat, beating like it's struggling to stay alive. But it's more alive than ever. The curfew is at 7 PM. You know it, I know it. Everyone knows it. Especially the duos that linger at Martin Junction. Yet we all love to tease the limits of how far a body can run and make it in time. The urgency, the need, the frustration, the fulfillment. There’s something exhilarating about skirting the edge of danger. About feeling the adrenaline course through your veins as the clock ticks down. I reach out for it during exams, actively working towards it—to be sleep-deprived and see how far I can push myself and still dish out something legible. I always take that one fake quote in stride, "Edison built the electric bulb in a night," or something of that sort. It's fake for multiple reasons, the stealing allegations aside. But it brings me hope. And this hope is quite delusional when it’s not accompanied by action. You can call it pr

Rainy Reflections.

What do I write today? I pondered for hours while doing mundane tasks. The sunlight stayed with me for a while, then it left, all alone, before the tube of electricity joined my thoughts. "Aren't you eating dinner?" asked my roommate. That's when I finally broke the silence I had condemned myself to until I wrote. I ate dinner and drank tea instead of coffee because I wanted to sleep earlier. I came back to my room, determined to write the third blog post. I couldn't give up so soon, could I? The sounds of doors and windows slamming against the walls, screeching laughter, and people running around seeped into my room. "It's cool outside, the rain, it's raining," said my roommate. I am not a huge fan of the rain. It always made me moody. I wasn't a hater either. Something in me whispered back to my roommate, "It's raining? It's raining!" I jumped up barefoot and ran out to feel the cool breeze against my face. My feet felt th