Skip to main content

The Cat and Me.

I want the taste of food but not the food. I want the destination, not the journey. Is it really so bad to be so impatient when I have seen so many walk that way, and by the time I have started, they are already there?

I don't want to learn. I don't want this impatience. The wealth of learning and reaching a place, I understand, is important; however, I am tired of learning and reaching for it from behind the starting line.

The cat in our hall has given birth thrice since I came here. I think it's thrice. I have lost count. I think she has too. It's been about a year. White, orange, blue shades on its body. The story of the kittens is tragic. Some died, some were taken away. The ones that stay, sleep.

To be everything while doing nothing is impossible. To change means to adapt, to add and reduce. How can I submit myself to such a fluctuating thing? How can I let things go when I grieve them before they are gone?

When I hold the living like they are dead?

I think they will realize at some point that my love comes from their loss even though nothing is lost. It's perfect. It's always perfect, isn't it?

I look around and all I can see is perfection. The room I used to have was cluttered, yet loved. I filled my table with the most colorful and obnoxious things I could find. Picked up the dirt people I loved left behind, polished it so that years later, they could love it the way I loved them.

My room is clean now. Empty is clean. Clean is empty. No sense of personality. No posters. No dead roses hanging upside down. The paper I got them in is tucked away on the shelf. It's no longer there. None of it is.

I don't find it in my room. I don't find it in me.

Is love so clean? Is love dirty and deplorable? Is it the grit under your fingernails you get when you dig up the root of a flower or is it the flower you give?

Does it die when the flower does or when your hands are clean? Will love rid you of your cleanliness?

Will it turn you into me as you stay longer beside me? Will you feel the gravel more than the petals? Will you rest in the grave or my gardens?

I never know the answer so I ask. I think the cat knows. It feeds its kittens. I think she's married now. Her husband has a long face. He waits by the food waste, sleeps at the stairs.

She lives a block away, taking care of her children. The orange one jumps and plays most often. The black plays along. The brown is unbothered.

I wonder if she thinks of love. I wonder if she thinks of me as I do her. Do you think she writes of me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ominous Positivity: Reflecting on Korea Day

It's inevitable. The poetry and prose can only shield me from vulnerability for so long. Someone is bound to read through the poorly written literary devices and figure out the true meaning of all my works that I run away from by writing it (How presumptuous). Or no one cares.  The latter is the greater possibility. I find comfort in it, no one cares. And on some days, it's despair in how no one cares.  True to my character, I am going to switch the topic to another one. For today, I wish to reminisce on Korea Day and as much as I would love to say it started with me speaking Korean and having a wonderful day. It didn't. I sat on my glasses.  Having a power of -6 and allegedly even more, I can't move around without my glasses as there is a possibility I will fall into a ditch, the depth perception does lessen when you can't perceive objects, it turns out.  It was frustrating, the whole sitting on glasses debacle. I had never done it before. Out of character as I wou

The Chase to Curfew.

My heart is out of my chest. It's in my throat, beating like it's struggling to stay alive. But it's more alive than ever. The curfew is at 7 PM. You know it, I know it. Everyone knows it. Especially the duos that linger at Martin Junction. Yet we all love to tease the limits of how far a body can run and make it in time. The urgency, the need, the frustration, the fulfillment. There’s something exhilarating about skirting the edge of danger. About feeling the adrenaline course through your veins as the clock ticks down. I reach out for it during exams, actively working towards it—to be sleep-deprived and see how far I can push myself and still dish out something legible. I always take that one fake quote in stride, "Edison built the electric bulb in a night," or something of that sort. It's fake for multiple reasons, the stealing allegations aside. But it brings me hope. And this hope is quite delusional when it’s not accompanied by action. You can call it pr

Rainy Reflections.

What do I write today? I pondered for hours while doing mundane tasks. The sunlight stayed with me for a while, then it left, all alone, before the tube of electricity joined my thoughts. "Aren't you eating dinner?" asked my roommate. That's when I finally broke the silence I had condemned myself to until I wrote. I ate dinner and drank tea instead of coffee because I wanted to sleep earlier. I came back to my room, determined to write the third blog post. I couldn't give up so soon, could I? The sounds of doors and windows slamming against the walls, screeching laughter, and people running around seeped into my room. "It's cool outside, the rain, it's raining," said my roommate. I am not a huge fan of the rain. It always made me moody. I wasn't a hater either. Something in me whispered back to my roommate, "It's raining? It's raining!" I jumped up barefoot and ran out to feel the cool breeze against my face. My feet felt th